Junior Garment Design Engineer
- Position Type
- Full-time contract / temporary
- Business Area / Division
- UK - Birkenhead
- Job Advert Description
We are looking for a Junior Garment Design Engineer at our Birkenhead site who will form part of the Design Team assisting with Design Projects. This will involve analysing the statement of requirements provided by the customer and producing suitable design solutions.
The purpose is to produce a design solution which meets the customer's requirements safely and is suitable for manufacture on a mass scale.
The Junior Garment Design Engineer is required to work as part of a team and independently.
Start date: 1.9.2019
End Date 1.9.2020
Key Tasks & Principle Accountabilities:
- The placement at Survitec will involve the student in all aspects of the design and development of highly complex specialised clothing and equipment primarily for use in the Defence sector.
- Time will be primarily focussed within the Design Engineering department where the student will be involved with, and experience first-hand, the design and development of company products. The student will work with the experienced Designed Engineers and the Prototype Manufacturing Team developing concepts and new products.
- As required, the student will be allocated to individual Design Engineers/ Technical staff to assist them in carrying out design and development tasks including "hands on" manufacture of design concepts, compilation of project documentation, testing or generation of production engineering information to support manufacture.
- Materials and product testing will be carried out in the companies on site testing laboratory and test facilities. The student will work closely with the test engineers to test materials, components and finished products. The student will be required to support the documentation of testing and the raising of detailed test plans and reports.
- The student may be tasked with liaising with customers and suppliers when required and represent the company during off-site activities.
- Travel (both in the UK and overseas) may be required.
- Towards the end of the student placement period, the aim will be to allocate the student an individual project to enable them to use their skills and experience gained from working within the company.
- Design skills
- Compilation fo Technical documentation.
Qualifications and Core Skills
- Interest in highly specialised functional/performance clothing and equipment.
- Enthusiastic and willing to learn new skills.
- Ability to work alone and take ownership of tasks/projects.
- Computer literate.
- Ability to be a good team player.
- Previous experience with garment design an advantage but not essential.
- Previous expereince with garment design sofware e.g Gerber
- Studying Design at Degree level
- Closing Date